By Susan Abbott Gidel
© Copyright 2021 SusanGSays LLC
Trading in Coinbase Global, Inc. (COIN) commenced at 1:25 pm ET on Wednesday, April 14, which shifted the position of planets in its first-trade horoscope—and some of their interpretation. In the interest of showing how a few hours can make a difference in analyzing a horoscope chart, I’m adding my new commentary in italics and leaving my original blog article intact, which was posted the day before the stock began trading and assumed it would make its first trade at 9:30 am when the stock market opened for trading.
When trading in Coinbase Global, Inc. (COIN) begins at 9:30 am on Wednesday, April 14, it creates a first-trade horoscope that supports big success for an electronic trading platform with international influence and stability. From a financial astrology perspective, there is a lot to like about this first-trade chart for the stock of this cryptocurrency exchange. There still is a lot to like about the relationship of the planets in this first-trade horoscope as well as the relationship between the stock’s first-trade horoscope and the company’s incorporation horoscope. However, the planets’ house changes and changes in the angles introduce less-than-ideal delineations for the stock listing.
The most prominent indicator of success for the Coinbase stock is that Mars (action) and Jupiter (good fortune) are in an easy, supportive trine aspect (sold lines/circles in chart above). What’s more, Mars is conjunct the first-trade Ascendant, and Jupiter is conjunct the first-trade Midheaven, in the houses that they rule naturally.
Mars in the 1st house for COIN provides vigorous energy that the world can see easily, so it is not surprising that the launch has the world’s attention. Jupiter in the 9th house portends international expansion and success. Also, Mars is “out of bounds,” which means its normal energy is supercharged and could result in phenomenal success from the start. Note that just four minutes later—at 9:34 am—Mars moves into the 12th house. If the launch were delayed by that amount of time, the Mars energy would do a flip-flop to become far more hidden and invisible, thus potentially creating a wrong first impression.
It remains true that the Mars/Jupiter trine (connected by solid lines) denotes success for the stock, and that Mars is out of bounds, creating supercharged energy. However, the added strength and prominence from being connected to the Ascendant and Midheaven is gone. Mars in the 11th house suggests that the stock could have great influence among its peers or for the greater good; it is not as individual-success oriented as it was when it was in the 1st house at a 9:30 am start. Jupiter now is in the 7th house and still could indicate an international flair, just not quite as strong because it no longer is in the house it naturally rules, and more in the realm of partnerships.
Mercury, the planet that rules communications and trading, is dominant in the first-trade horoscope for COIN, which is ideal for a company whose business is to provide good information and swift transactions. In combination with the Mars/Jupiter trine, expect consistently high trading volume and liquidity in this stock.
The first way in which Mercury is dominant is that it is the chart ruler because the sign it rules, Gemini, is on the Ascendant (9 o’clock on the wheel). Second, Mercury is the final energy outlet for all the planets in the chart, with Saturn in its ruling sign of Aquarius as a helper that provides out-of-the-box solutions that are trustworthy and stable. Third, Mercury and Mars work extremely well together because they are in each other’s ruling signs (Mercury in Aries; Mars in Gemini) and are in a pleasant sextile aspect.
The number one reason Mercury was dominant—that it was the chart ruler—disappeared; the other two remain intact. The sign of Leo is on the ascendant in the 1:25 pm horoscope, making the Sun the chart’s ruler. The Sun is exalted in Aries and the second strongest planet in the chart, so that still is positive for the stock. But, the significance shifts to being known as the leader (Sun) in this exchange-traded space rather than for its trading and transactions (Mercury).
Power to Transform
Pluto in Capricorn is the planet whose mission is to transform business and government. Coinbase was founded in 2012 and incorporated in 2014 with a mission “to create an open financial system for the world.” In the COIN first-trade horoscope, Pluto is in the 8th house that represents “other people’s money,” in this case, Coinbase stock investors. Pluto is the natural ruler of the 8th house, which also represents death, in this case, death of the status quo for money and investing/trading. In less than 10 years, Coinbase has grown to 56 million verified users and has $223 billion of assets on its platform to become the leading crypto exchange in the United States.
Pluto moved into the 6th house in the 1:25 pm horoscope, as did Saturn in its ruling sign of Aquarius; Saturn also is strongly placed conjunct the descendant. These two planets in this house suggest that the stock will at some point come under heavy-handed restrictions from powerful authorities. (Watch closely transits of Mars to these two first-trade planets.) The expectation of regular trading hours and access could be limited, perhaps by a trading halt or speed bumps. At an extreme, the stock could be delisted.
Three other planets make aspects to Pluto—the Moon, at a 120-degree trine; the Sun and Venus at a 90-degree square (dotted circles and lines in chart above). The Moon/Pluto trine provides COIN with passionate investors who see the power in the company. The Moon represents the public, and in this horoscope is in its most favorite sign of Taurus, where its every wish is granted.
The Sun in Aries also is in its most favorite sign with every wish granted, but is in a square with Pluto, which provides tension and energy to harness transformational power. One of the very few negatives in the COIN first-trade horoscope is that Venus, the planet that rules money, is in Aries, a sign it dislikes, and just a few hours away from moving into its ruling sign of Taurus at 2:22 pm. Venus square Pluto typically signifies issues with debt, so perhaps at some point when this square is activated by transit, there could be issues with short-sale borrowing that could affect the stock’s price.
Several details in the COIN first-trade horoscope chart add even more positive energy to its launch. They include:
- Sun sextile Mars provides an extra boost of energy.
- Sun sextile Jupiter shows leaders who have the opportunity for business expansion with new ideas.
- Aquarius on the Midheaven says the stock is known for its uniqueness, technology and global community. Taurus is on the Midheaven at 1:25 pm, so the stock is known for its financial prowess. Uranus in Taurus in the 10th house says that the stock also has a reputation for financial volatility. The Moon in the 10th highlights the public’s participation in the stock.
- Jupiter, the planet of expansion, is the highest planet in the chart (literally), which gives it added prominence. A weak Venus, ruling the Midheaven sign of Taurus, is the highest planet in the chart. That gives Venus added prominence, which would be fine if it weren’t so weak in Aries. Jupiter moved into the 7th house, indicating the potential for many foreign investors.
- Saturn, in its ruling sign of Aquarius, is the strongest planet in the chart and operating out of the 9th house and square to the sign’s co-ruler, Uranus. This connection harnesses the ability to create financial change as a responsible authority in a contained structure. As noted in the Pluto section above, Saturn is in the 6th house in the 1:25 pm horoscope and conjunct the descendant. This is more troublesome for the stock because Saturn seems likely to impose day-to-day operating restrictions from that placement. Saturn remains the strongest planet in the chart and square Uranus.
- Part of Fortune in Cancer is conjunct the fixed star Castor in the 2nd house of values and income, so that the stock’s fortune is tied to the ability to tell a good story to the public. In turn, the public is represented by the Moon, which rules Cancer and the 2nd house cusp. Finally, the Moon is exceptionally strong in Taurus, the natural ruler of the 2nd house. The Part of Fortune remains in the 2nd house in the 1:25 pm horoscope, but is in Virgo, with a combust Mercury ruling the 2nd house, which is much weaker than the exalted Moon ruling it if the stock had opened at 9:30 am. More troubling is that the Part of Fortune is conjunct the fixed star Zosma. According to the delineation from Bernadette Brady in her fine book, “Brady’s Book of Fixed Stars,” the mythology of Zosma is where “nonestablishment concepts or beliefs are extinguished,” and the star “belongs to those whom the establishment, either directly or indirectly, makes powerless.” That the stock of a cryptocurrency exchange—certainly a nonestablishment type of venture—could come under pressure from more traditional avenues is enhanced because the Part of Fortune is in a tension-filled quincunx with Saturn in the 6th house that, as discussed in the previous bullet point, looks to impose restrictions.
- All the planets are moving direct in motion, so operating at full strength.
Planets, Points and Dates to Watch
As time moves on and planets progress through the sky, they will make transits to the positions of the planets in COIN’s first-trade horoscope that could change the price trend. And, there are plenty of significant ones in the COIN natal chart. All of these observations remain intact, despite the difference in launch time.
Three of these involve COIN’s first-trade Sun, Mercury and Venus, which represent the stock’s identity, trading and value, and typically are important points to watch in most markets. First, in the COIN first-trade chart, these three planets are at 19-29 Aries; the Sun moves across these degrees each year from April 9-19.
Second, the stock’s Sun/Mercury/Venus are tied to the company’s incorporation horoscope of January 27, 2014 in Delaware as the company’s natal Mars is opposite them at 21 Libra, near the stock’s Sun/Mercury midpoint. Watch each year near October 14 as the transiting Sun highlights this opposition.
Third, the company’s natal Mars at 21 Libra, i.e., its corporate energy and initiative, completes a Grand Trine in Air with COIN’s natal Mars at 24 Gemini and natal Jupiter at 25 Aquarius (solid lines in chart below). This formation is tremendously supportive of the synergistic energy and success between the company and its stock. Especially significant is that COIN’s Jupiter exactly conjoins the Coinbase Mercury in Aquarius, where it is exalted. This connection has big success in online trading written all over it. Watch each year as the Sun triggers any of these three points for a burst of trading activity, from February 10-14, June 12-16, and October 15-19.
Transits to the first-trade Moon also are often significant in many markets. And, in this chart, that is especially the case because the COIN first-trade Moon is not only opposite the position of Saturn in the company’s incorporation horoscope, but also at a sensitive point formed by the company’s natal Moon and Mars (dotted lines in chart above). This planetary connection suggests some sort of bearish feeling or effect coming into the marketplace with transits to 21-22 Taurus/Scorpio; the transiting Sun hits those degrees each year near May 12-13 and November 14-15. Two degrees later, at 24 Scorpio, is a sensitive point on the COIN chart that connects to the first-trade Sun and Mars; this degree will be highlighted by the Sun each year on November 17.
Finally, there is a sensitive point that connects to COIN’s natal Sun/Jupiter sextile at 25 Virgo. This point also creates a Grand Trine in Earth in the COIN natal chart with the Moon at 21 Taurus and Pluto at 26 Capricorn. The Sun passes this degree each year near September 18, triggering a heightened ease to the market’s intense power and passion from investors.
Of course, any planet transiting these degrees could trigger some sort of market reaction. Indeed, the transiting Moon hits them all each and every month! Because the Sun moves 1 degree per day consistently, it is easiest to note when the Sun will transit those degrees each year. Mars goes around the entire horoscope chart about every two years, and often can be a trigger to planetary sensitivity—and market action. Also watch when transiting Mercury and Venus cross these points.
In sum, the natal first-trade horoscope for COIN, the stock of Coinbase Global, Inc., is incredibly strong from a financial astrology perspective and portends a successful launch and long-lasting success. In sum, with the first-trade horoscope at 1:25 pm rather than 9:30 am, the prospect for COIN’s success was weakened, particularly by: (1) the move to the 6th house by Saturn and Pluto; and (2) the Part of Fortune’s movement into Virgo, its conjunction to a difficult fixed star and its quincunx to Saturn. The exalted Sun ruling the stock’s ascendant reflects its strong leadership and visibility among cryptocurrency exchanges. However, Uranus in the 10th suggests the stock will be known for financial volatility.